Benefits of resurfacing a concrete driveway
Not only is your driveway the entryway to your home, but it also plays a major role in your home’s curb appeal. Many of the older homes feature concrete driveways because concrete is the material choice for projects that required sturdy and durable materials. Unfortunately, many of the concrete driveways have reached the end of their lifespan. Cracks begin to appear, weeds sprout through the cracks and you are suddenly faced with an eyesore. Aging concrete driveways in Iowa City are a common source of headaches for homeowners. The first thought is that you will have to tear out the old concrete in order to pour new, which can be time consuming and expensive. The good news is it is fairly simple to update your old driveway…with concrete resurfacing.
New Options for Aging Concrete
Resurfacing concrete driveways in Iowa City will give your driveway a new, modern look without having to dig up the old slab and resurfacing offers a wide array of secondary options for increased visual appeal. Resurfacing will return the original concrete to a like-new state and you can choose a color, texture or pattern that will completely alter the look of your current landscaping. One of the most common secondary option associated with resurfacing is staining. Concrete staining with resurfacing is an opportunity to choose from several vibrant colors and a host of effects, such as wood, leather or natural stone. Other than staining, some of the other secondary options with resurfacing include:
- Stamping or etching-a pattern is carved into the concrete surface to give it the look of brick, stone or tile at a fraction of the cost of these materials
- Overlays-choose from patterns that include stone, brick or flagstone
- Exposed aggregate finishes-small stones are embedded in the surface to give it a rough texture, making it slip resistant
The Resurfacing Process
Resurfacing concrete driveways in Iowa City involves cleaning, repairing and applying an overlay to the existing concrete. The steps involved in fixing aging concrete include:
- Cleaning-the old surface is cleaned with a power washer to remove the dirt and grime
- Repairing the cracks-a primer is applied and then reinforced with strong fabric. The driveway is then covered with a polymer concrete and then smoothed out evenly with the rest of the driveway.
- Repairing the holes-all holes are filled in with an epoxy mortar
- Covering the surface-after all of the repairs are done, the surface is primed and covered with a polymer concrete, which is finished with a trowel
- Color and seal-the decorative coloring you choose is then applied, followed by a seal coat that will protect the surface of the concrete from the elements
- Curing-you should plan on not using your driveway for 48-72 hours to allow time for the surface to dry completely
This process is quicker and more economical that pouring concrete for a brand new surface or replacing the driveway with other materials, such as brick or stone. Concrete resurfacing offers a wide range of possibilities and it is a great option for revitalizing old, worn-out concrete.
Kelly Concrete Co to find out about our resurfacing options. We’re ready to help you have a driveway with the look of something much more expensive than what it really is.